Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Southern Peaches

I have to groan everytime I see my grocery store sale paper advertising fresh southern peaches from Georgia.  Not to take anything away from Georgia orchards, but why would I want to buy a peach that was picked at least several days to a week earlier, before it's peak of ripeness, when I can visit one of our very own local orchards or farmer's markets. 

A few miles from where I grew up is a family owned and operated orchard that has been producing fresh peaches, apples, pumpkins and more for over 40 years. Jackson's Orchard in Bowling Green, KY offers over 15 varieties each of fresh peaches and apples each year, all hand picked at the peak of freshness and sold directly at their farm store as well as several farmer's markets locations.  Peaches are generally available from late June through Labor Day, Mother Nature willing!



All of the varieties are delicious, but I prefer the "freestone" varieties such as Red Haven, Contender or Glowing Star for the ease of removing the stones (seeds) inside for cooking, canning and fresh eating.

Not only do you get to experience truly fresh picked sweet and juicy peaches that are unmatched by those in the grocery, but your family can enjoy a wonderful field day or picnic at most orchards as well.  Many offer tours, special events, classes, demonstrations, and special programs for the kids.

I would strongly encourage you to take the time to find a local orchard in your area.  Your efforts will be well rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment