Search This Blog

Thursday, June 2, 2011

One of My Favorite Fresh Garden Recipes - Turkey Lettuce Wraps

One of my favorite restaurants serves a wonderful appetizer called Lettuce Wraps. Unfortunately, this restaurant is about an hour away, so I don't get to visit it as often as I'd like.  Thanks to my garden and an online recipe I found and modified to suit my taste buds, I get to enjoy this treat all summer long.  I hope you enjoy it too.  Please note:  T = tablespoon, t = teaspoon

Turkey Lettuce Wraps

1 T olive oil
1 t minced garlic
1 - 2 T diced green peppers (or chiles if you prefer more heat)
1 t ground cumin
1/4 - 1/2 t chili powder (depending on your spiciness preference)
2 T fresh lime juice (@ 1/2 lime squeezed)
1 1/2 lb ground turkey
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 bunch cilantro (or 1 1/2 t dried - divided)
2 large heads romaine lettus or bibb lettuce

Heat oil over medium heat, add minced garlic and diced peppers for @ 1 minute.  Add cumin and chili powder, cook 1 minute, add turkey, salt, cook over medium/high heat 5-6 minutes until cooked thoroughly.  Add sliced green onions, cook 2 more minutes.  Turn off heat, stir in 1 cup fresh cilantro (or 1 t dried).

Salsa for Lettuce Wraps

2 medium avocados diced
1 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro ( or 1/2 t dried)
2 T lime juice (1/2 lime squeezed)
2 T olive oil
@ 1/2 t salt to taste

Combine all incredients and spoon over turkey mixture served in lettuce leaves.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment