Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

Homemade Strawberry Jam

Nothing taste better than homemade.  And it can be a very affordable way to provide your family with high quality, nutritious food.  It's amazing to think that the berries I bought on Friday, grown locally without the use of pesticides or other chemicals, were on the vine just the day before.  It doesn't get much fresher than that.  And making homemade strawberry jam couldn't be easier.

My favorite recipe is to simply follow the instructions for "cooked jam and jelly" provided in the box of 100% Natural Sure Jell. If you don't have a water bath canner, just use a large stainless steel stock pot.  I used just over half of the gallon of strawberries I purchased at the farmer's market (@ 5 pints), washing, capping and crushing them with a potato masher.  Aside from the Sure Jell, the only other ingredient required is approximately 4 lbs of sugar (note: for diabetics, there is a sugar free version of Sure Jell).  Within 20 minutes I had 9 1/2 half pint jars of jam that cost me less than $1.25 per jar.  Compare that to store bought organic jams at $4 or more and the savings quickly add up.  My friends love these as a gift...I'm sure yours will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment