Search This Blog

Saturday, May 21, 2011

My First Blog

Preferring the simple life over the fast paced, high tech rat race of today has always been a way of life for me.  Although my "day job" demands I use computers and sophisticated technology, my heart belongs to nature and the great outdoors.  As I see more and more of the "old ways" of living slipping into oblivion I long to return to my roots and revive some of the tried and true, self-sustaining, pure and simple ways of living that I learned in my youth.  In particular, my passion is growing and preserving heirloom vegetables, free of chemicals, in my ever expanding urban homestead.  My guiding belief is that if my grandmother didn't grow it or use it, neither will I. 

I also love to visit the local farmer's market each week for those items I don't grow myself in order to support my friends and fellow farmers who share my passion for living a more natural life.   Of course, living this way is self serving as well...I get to enjoy some of the freshest, tastiest and healthiest foods imaginable.  If you've never eaten a true heirloom tomato, like a large slice of Brandywine on a fresh grilled burger, then you've missed one of the greatest joys of summer. When I was a child, I remember making "tomato sandwiches"...I didn't even need the burger!

As I continue this blog, I hope to share with all of you my passion for good food and encourage you to consider growing an heirloom vegetable garden of your own.  I'll be sharing with you my tips and strategies that I learned over the past 40+ years from country farmers, the Amish, and, of course...my grandma.  I hope you'll join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment